Friday, December 11, 2009

Kinda chilly

I haven't had much luck getting out in time to collect eggs.  I have six frozen eggs.  Not good.  Great for Schoen, not so great for us.  So we piled straw all around and on top of their little coop, not to mention we filled their coop with straw.  I put a styrofoam sheet in front of their door and then pushed straw over that.  They don't have much light at all in there, but its toastier... well, warmer and no more frozen eggs.  They're very well behaved birds.  I crawled in there with them and they didn't seem to mind at all.  They have a large feeder with cracked corn, a pan of laying mash, a pan of oyster shells and a pan of water.  The pan of water stays liquid longer than in the chicken waterer, which is basically a bottle turned upside down over a plate.  The exposed water on the plate just isn't deep enough and it freezes too fast.  So I change their water three times a day.  So obviously I check on them three times a day.  Probably in part why they don't mind me going in there.  Not to mention, where the heck are they gonna run to?!

No comments:

Post a Comment